In Harbison Canyon, California, a “hero” Labrador retriever named Marley saved his 18-year-old owner from a rattlesnake attack. The seven-year-old dog moved his owner out of the way of a fatal snake bite just two weeks ago, but he later suffered bites to his mouth and neck twice.
According to the GoFundMe page for Marley’s veterinary expenses, Alex Laredo heard a “huge rattling” as he was heading out the front door toward the dryer on the side of the house. Less than a foot away, he noticed the foot-and-a-half-long rattlesnake under the table.
Marley’s initial reaction was to position himself between me and the rattlesnake. The rattlesnake was agitated at this point and attacked me as Marley tried to catch it. Two deadly venomous snakes, one on his mouth and one on his neck, bit him. Everything occurred so quickly. Marley was bitten, there was blood all over, and he just dropped to the ground in agony when I was able to catch him and bring him inside.
As the snake slithered away, Alex grabbed his puppy and hurried Marley and his mother to the veterinarian. Marley needed four doses of the antivenin, and for several days, his health was critical.
“Marley’s face started to swell, and he had trouble breathing. He also started to spit blood out of his mouth. I tried to keep my composure and think quickly because I was terrified and realized that time was not on our side. My closest friend was already checked in when he arrived, and the technician was ready for him. The most terrible experience of my life was not knowing whether your best friend would survive.
Marley ultimately made progress, and two days later, she was ready to go back home. Marley is no longer in danger, but he needs medicine and weekly checkups since he has nerve damage in his lips and jaw.
Please share this post with your friends!